National Careers Service
This website includes useful job profiles, information on further study, advice and self-assessment tools. It is also possible to book free local appointments with a careers adviser.
Extra help around the UK
Other universities or institutions can sometimes offer extra assistance to graduates regardless of where you have studied. Below is a list of such opportunities including employability workshops and internships.
- Newcastle University Graduate Apprentices can enable people who have gradated within the last 3 years the chance to take part a 3 month paid internship in North East based organisations. You must either be unemployed or not currently working in a graduate position to be eligible to apply.
- University of Cumbria Business Placement Service organise graduate placements lasting between 2 – 13 weeks in local companies in Cumbria and surrounding regions for students and graduates from any UK College or University. You get hands on experience working on projects and solving problems for companies.
- University of Sunderland Graduate Internships are in a number of different industries in the North East of England and you are eligible to apply for the vacancies up to 3 years after you have graduated. Internships last 6 months primarily but may interns are kept on in a permanent position
- Teesside University Graduates For Business scheme assists students find employment with locally based businesses in the Teesside area. Submit your CV to be placed on the register, you will be contacted by the University as and when relevant internships come up. Support is given and you will be assigned a mentor during your internship.
- Graduates to Merseyside is open to recent graduates living in the Merseyside region and can support you find suitable employment. Not only does the scheme advertise graduate level opportunities but also expertise of the graduate recruitment market.
- Sheffield City Council RISE Scheme offers graduates of any university paid internships in a range of local SME’s lasting around 6 months. As part of the programme you will get feedback on applications, access to professional training and networking events and free 3 month membership of a local junior chamber of commerce. For more information see this blog post.
- Keele University Graduate Internships offer unemployed graduates the chance to gain experience in a range of different sectors including business development, environmental management, IT, marketing and science. Internships last between 3-12 months giving you plenty of time to develop skills and experiences.
- Staffordshire University Paid Graduate Internships give you the opportunity to use your knowledge and expertise to help a local company. Internships last 12 weeks but many lead to permanent offers of work
East of England
- University of East Anglia Graduate Internship Scheme provides those with a bachelors degree or higher the opportunity to take part in an internships of up to 12 months in the East Anglia region.
- Anglia Ruskin Internship Scheme enables graduates looking for work in Cambridge, Essex or the East of England the opportunity to work on short term (up to 12 weeks) strategic projects with a wide range of businesses in the area.
- University of Exeter Graduate Business Partnership Scheme gives you the chance to work on real business projects in a range of South West organisations. You will also have access to support though online learning material at The University of Exeter.
- Scotgrad is open to people who graduated in the last four years regardless of age or location. The internship schemes aims to place you with regional SMEs you need your skills. You’ll also get the chance to take part in a training course designed to build up your business skills.