Who is is for?
The blog is aimed at all undergrads at the University of Manchester from first years to finalists. If you’re interested in exploring career options or want to get the latest news and ‘insider tips’ on jobs and careers, you’re in the right place.
What is it about?
We’ll be blogging about all sorts of things to help you get your career plans sorted, including:
- How to figure out what kinds of jobs might suit you.
- Getting work experience, internships and placements, vacation work and part-time jobs etc.
- Tips for getting more stuff to go on your CV, such as mentoring, volunteering and positions of responsibility.
- Job hunting tips and advice on making applications, from CVs and covering letters to interviews and psychometric testing.
- The latest news about careers events, training opportunities, competitions and interesting looking jobs and grad schemes.
- A weekly ‘Jobs Seen On The Street’ post every Thursday with links to some part-time jobs we’ve found in the Manchester area.
Is first or second year too early to be thinking about careers stuff?
It’s never too early to think about your career. In your final year, you’ll probably be focussing on assignments and exams, and you might find you don’t need the extra stress of making all those important career decisions at the same time. If you’ve already got some work experience under your belt and have given some thought to what you want to do, you’ll be on track to when you get to your final year.
In this blog, we’ll give you lots of ideas and resources to help you get started early and get your career plans off the ground.
Have your say
If you have any ideas about what you’d like to blog about, or if you want to share your own experience of trying to figure out what it is you want to do with your life, tell us what you think by e-mailing us at: Undergrad.Blog@manchester.ac.uk
The ‘Manchester Undergrad Careers blog’ is written by staff at the Careers Service at the University of Manchester. Check out our profiles on our About the Team page.