The University of Manchester Careers Service is looking to recruit a number of Applications Advisers, working as part of the busy careers team to provide 1-1 advice to students and graduates on their job application techniques. See www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/services/applicationsadvice/
We employ a pool of applications advisers to provide services at busy times of year. Joining the pool does not guarantee hours every week but offers you the flexibility to work when you are available.
The role includes:
• Delivering 15 minute individual face to face appointments to students and recent graduates.
• Giving feedback covering the content and format of their CV, cover letters, application forms, LinkedIn profiles and personal statements for further study.
• At peak times Oct & Nov we would expect individual advisers work 2-6 sessions per week.
• Hours will vary according to levels of demand from students.
• You do not need to work the same hours each or every week.
This role is part-time, with most hours being in semester time. Applications Advisers work half days or full days:
• Half day: 1 session = 9.15-12.45 or 1-4.30 = 3.5 hours.
• Full day: 2 sessions = 9.15-4.30 (6.45 hours with half hour lunch break).
Hourly rate: £9.75 per hour
Full training will be given. This role would suit someone looking to go into advice / guidance work / HR or recruitment. As these roles are for the next academic year, they are not suitable for someone currently in their final year (eg masters due to complete by Christmas), but we particularly welcome PhDs who are looking for flexible part-time work throughout the next academic year.
• Experience of delivering 1-1 advice.
• Experience of delivering feedback.
• The ability to manage your time and client expectations.
• A clear understanding of, and the ability to identify with, the undergraduate job search experience.
• A strong commitment to excellent customer service.
• High standard of written and spoken communication skills; including listening skills, the ability to relate to the student and show understanding, persuasion and good written presentation.
• The ability to deal effectively with people, requiring tact, courtesy, empathy and patience.
• An excellent command of the English language.
How to apply:
Please email your CV with a covering letter explaining why you would like to be considered for the post and the experience and skills that will make you a good candidate.
Please use the CV & Cover letter guides on our website, part of the assessment for this role will be your ability to follow our guidelines – www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/applicationsinterviews
Please state in your cover letter your availability to work, days of the week – am or pm.
Preference will be given to applicants who are flexible and available for full days or multiple half days.
Return to Natalie Walsh via email: Natalie.Walsh@manchester.ac.uk
For further details/informal enquiries contact Natalie Walsh via email: Natalie.Walsh@manchester.ac.uk
Closing date for applications: Friday 17 May 5pm (note: we may be able to consider applications received by Monday 20th May).
Interviews: will be held on 30/31 May and 3rd June
Training Dates: 18 and 19 June. 2 DAYS COMPULSORY ATTENDANCE.
Plus additional flexible dates in June, July and August.
Careers Consultant (Postgraduate) at the University of Manchester, UK