The Grad Fair 2018 is on Wednesday 9 May 2018 10:30am – 3:30pm
At The Armitage Centre in Fallowfield (yes right behind Owens Park)
This is the big mop up of graduate recruitment for large to medium size employers for this year.
Why do I need to go?
- If you haven’t got a job lined up for after you graduate.
Whether you missed out on some other opportunities or haven’t started looking yet it’s a great way to see what’s available in the market place and get some insider intel to help you write a great application.
- If you haven’t started thinking about career options.
Chat to different companies about the opportunities they offer – many will be open to graduates with any degree. If you match the skills and personality they are looking for why not make an application?
- It’s just 1 day out of your life.
You can probably get what you need in just a couple of hours rather than spending weeks looking at this and that and having questions you can’t get the answers to.
- Careers staff will be there to help you.
So if you have questions or need some tips on what to say or who to speak to – we will be there to support you.
How do I prepare?
The list of exhibitors will be available online about 2 weeks before the fair. This is your chance to see what opportunities companies are offering and make a list of the ones you would like to find out more about.
If there are companies you are really interested in and you want to make sure your application is as good as it can be then its really worth while asking some questions about the core values & skills they are looking for.
- Can you tell me more about the role of a XXX in your company? What do they do on a daily basis?
- What would an ideal candidate look like for …( insert role here)
- When there are some similar roles available and you are trying to decide where you fit best? What would you say the main differences are between candidates for … tax and audit?
- What would you say the biggest challenges are for a new graduate in ( insert company name)
You can ask anything that helps you decide which companies are the right fit for you, which roles match your skills and anything that will help you make a great application.
Should I take my CV?
Not every recruiter will want your CV on the day, they will all have formal application procedures that may be an online form or CV & Cover letter uploaded or emailed to a specific person. BUT……
- If you have a good conversation with someone and they want to know more about you it’s handy to have. It acts a bit like a giant business card, so they can remember who you are.
- It is possible that you could be contacted as a result a CV handed in at this fair, recruiters will be looking for people to start in summer/autumn so they may want to be quick off the mark!
You do need to tailor your CV to a specific role, no one wants to see a retail CV for a marketing job. Use our applications advice service to help you prepare.
If you are looking at several career options then its best to have several CVs – just don’t get them mixed up! Remember when you make your actual application after the fair you will need to tailor your CV specifically for the job at that company using the job description plus the intel you have gained at the fair!