“Where are all the internships?” said the first year.
Finding an internship in your first year can be quite a challenge.
If you were in the very small percentage of First Year students who thought about an internship in the first term, you may have been lucky enough to land yourself either a Spring Insight or a Summer Internship- if so, well done! As for the rest of you, if you have only just started to think about internships you may be finding the search rather difficult. If so, listen up…
Internships tend to be targeted towards people in their penultimate year of study.
The reason for this is because a lot of big companies hire interns in the hope that they may want to get onto their grad scheme and work for them permanently after they finish their degree.
Of course there is no guarantee that the company will be hiring graduates, nor any guarantee that the intern would stand any higher chance of securing the Grad Scheme than anyone else. Nevertheless, you can see why a lot of employers target those who are going into final year as it does kind of make sense.
Internships are just one of the many options you have for getting some experience this summer.
Work shadowing/ experience can be a really good way to get an insight into a company and is often far less structured than an internship. The benefit of work experience/shadowing is that you can often negotiate your own terms rather than the solidity of a structured internship.
You could also use your summer to get some part time work/volunteering under your belt. There is value in every single job you do, so don’t be put off by working for a slightly less well known company. You don’t have the luxury of a big long summer when you finish University so use your time to try new things!
How do I find an opportunity if I can’t see any advertised online?
Ever heard of the phrase ‘Good things come to those who wait’? If so, ignore it. It’s a terrible piece of advice! The reality is that good things come to those who work hard, network well and are incredibly resilient.
Contacting companies directly can be a really good way of landing yourself an opportunity. This is what is formally referred to as ‘The Hidden Jobs Market’. It’s the idea that there are hidden, unadvertised opportunities which can be snapped up by people who are prepared to do a bit of the leg work. However, it’s not easy, you should be prepared to have 20 emails ignored for every 1 that gets read so you will need a bit of resilience if you go down this path.
How to a find a contact to email?
Admittedly this can be a bit difficult, but there are numerous ways you can get yourself a contact email address.
- Use LinkedIn.
Don’t have a profile? Make one.
It’s like the business version of Facebook/an online copy of your CV. You can connect with people and ask them questions and it can also be used for employer’s to head hunt you for jobs. Win, win!
- The Manchester Network.
We have our very own Networking platform which is specifically designed so that students can connect with alumni to ask questions about your Career options.
- Manchester Gold Mentoring programme
Taking part in our mentoring programme is your way of getting information, advice and guidance about your future from a mentor. They could be doing the job you’re aiming for, working in an area that interests you or have graduated from the same course as you.
- Call on anyone you have ever met, ever.
Using your own personal contacts is another good way of getting your foot in the door.
With all this being said, there are still a few internships available. Below is a list of some of the ones which are out there, and here is an excellent site which has currently 36 other options available
- BDO, Finance Insight Day, April 1st, London http://careers.peopleclick.eu.com/careerscp/client_bdo/graduate/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId=27744&localeCode=en-us
- BDO, Finance, Insight Day, April 7th, London,
- Deloitte Women, Finance, Spring Insight Day, 10-11th April, London,
- Deloitte is Tax for you?, Finance, Spring Insight Day, 12-13th April, Reading,
- Deloitte, Local career: global impact, Finance, Spring Insight Day, 6th-7th April, Edinburgh
- KPMG, Women in Technology, Finance, Insight Day, London,
- Arqiva, Contract Management Implementation Intern, Engineering/communication, Internship, CLOSING DATE 29th MARCH, Winchester,
- Arqiva, Comms & Marketing Intern, Engineering/communication/marketing, Internship, CLOSING DATE 29th MARCH, Winchester,
- Bloomsberg, Information Systems Summer Internship, Finance/tech, Internship, London,
- Dialog Semi Conductor, HR Intern, Engineering/HR, Internship, 29th May, Swindon,
- EMEA (restaurant branding) Leadership Programme, Business/marketing, 10 week Internship, CLOSING DATE-2nd May, Zurich,
- Siemens Summer Internship Strategic Procurement ( 64054 ID), Manufacturing, 3 month internship, CLOSING DATE – 19th April, Oxford
- Chinese Speaking Research Internship, K7 Media (64248 ID), Media, 4 week Internship, CLOSING DATE- 20th April, Manchester
CareersLink, ID 64248
If you would like an application checked over before you send it off then book yourself in for Application Advice Appointment by either calling us on 0161 275 2829, popping into The Atrium, University Place, or booking yourself one via your CareersLink Account.
Careers Information & Guidance Assistant