Have you had That Conversation, yet? The one that goes something like:
‘So! What are you going to do when you’ve finished Uni’
- I don’t know, yet
‘You don’t know yet? I see’
- No, I don’t know yet
‘Well, have you got any ideas?’
- Well, some. But no, not really. I’m waiting until I’ve got my final year out of the way then think about it’
Hmmm…. If you are familiar with this or similar conversations, or quite simply have no idea what your plans might be after graduation, then remember this – it’s perfectly ok and you are in good company alongside thousands of other students. We have however arranged an amazing week of activities directly aimed to help you. Hoorrahs all round as we introduce ….
‘I Don’t Know What I Want to Do!’ Week
OR IDK WEEK (for short. We like to keep things simple)
Monday 10 October to Friday 14 October 2016
Pop this week in your diary right NOW. It’s a whole week of workshops, chats and drop-ins especially for our students who feel they don’t know where to start, where to look, who to ask … or just need some help getting started. Just choose which ones might help you most – I’ve listed them all below. They are really very useful – useful for ALL degree disciplines, ALL years, both Undergraduate and Postgraduate. It’s that good.
We decided to run this week after we spoke to a whole bunch of Humanities students, and discovered that so many students didn’t take the first step because they felt it was too ‘big’ and that there was little support for them. And this troubled us. For example, we heard things like:
‘I don’t know where to start’
- (that’s fine, thousands of students don’t either. We can help you start!)
‘But isn’t the Careers Service for when you know what to do?’
- (no way. We are really good at getting you started if you don’t know what you want to do)
‘I really should know by now, but don’t’
- (it’s never ever too late. Really)
‘All my housemates seem to be sorted’
- (hmmmm. Even if they are, which they may not be, there is no time limit)
So, have a scoot at the bag of IDK booty below.
Every day of that week we have a ‘Short ‘n’ Sweet’ Lunchtime session (1-2pm) and you can reserve a place by logging on to Careerslink. Every day, we also have an afternoon of live online chat – accessed here. Just log on and email us your queries. We are also at the Little Careers Fair … Read on and book in. Bring a friend who you know is also unsure of the next steps. It’s nice to share.
MONDAY OCTOBER 10
- 5 Things You Can Do After You Graduate: Short ‘n’ Sweet Lunchtime Session with some ideas on options after the final year. Travel, work experience, volunteering, professional internships, and lots more you may not have even considered. 1pm – 2pm University Place, Room 5.206
- Live Online Chat: Careers Consultant, Delia will be online all afternoon (2pm – 4pm) to answer any queries/concerns you have and to get you started. Just log on and type your question.
TUESDAY OCTOBER 11
- 5 Reasons Not To Panic if You Don’t Know What to Do: Short ‘n’ Sweet Lunchtime Session with reassuring reasons why it’s all going to be well, and practical steps to making sure you feel confident in exploring some career ideas. 1pm – 2pm University Place, Room 5.206
- Live Online Chat: Careers Consultant, Louise will be online all afternoon (2pm – 4pm) to answer any queries/concerns you have and get you started. Just log on and type your question
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 12
- Little Careers Fair from 10am to 4pm at Academy 2: We are there all day, so look out for our banner which you will know by the IDK logo. For all details see LINK. Pop in, anytime, with any query or question or to have a general chat about careers stuff. Don’t leave us sitting there with nothing to do – it’s embarrassing. It’s also a good time to browse around employers, find out what they all do. Ask us anything at anytime.
- Live Online Chat: If you can’t make it to the Fair, then Careers Consultant Emma with be chatting from 2pm to 4pm. Just log on and type your question
THURSDAY OCTOBER 13
- Personality Psychometric tests: Demystifying psychometric tests, this session explains some basics and guides you through what they are and how to navigate them. 12-1pm Room 2.4, Roscoe
- 5 steps to decide what to do next: Short ‘n’ Sweet Lunchtime Session exploring why making career decisions seems difficult, and how these steps will make decision-making easier. 1-2pm Room G6, Humanities Bridgeford Street
- Live Online Chat: Careers Consultant, Bernie will be online pretty much all afternoon (2pm – 4pm) to answer any queries you have and get you started, signpost you to resources. Just log on and type your question
FRIDAY OCTOBER 14
- 5 Steps to Get Work Experience: Some handy signposts to where you can find all work experience, paid, volunteer, vacation work, part-time and professional internships. 1pm – 2pm Room 1.010, Roscoe
- Live Online Chat: Careers Consultant, Helen will be online pretty much all afternoon (2pm – 4pm) to answer any queries you have and get you started, signpost you to resources. Just log on and type your question
We are very keen to meet you – so please come and discuss whatever is on your mind about what you might like to do after graduation.