Do you have a profile but are not really sure what you are supposed to do with it?
LinkedIn is useful for:
- Developing a professional online profile to complement your CV.
- Helping ensure that potential employers are impressed by what they find if they Google you. A well-developed LinkedIn profile will usually appear near the top of the first page in a Google search on your name.
- Making contacts with people working in your chosen sector. They may potentially provide you with inside information, work experience etc.
- Giving you a place to keep in touch with professional contacts, once you meet someone you can ask to link with them.
- Finding career profiles of thousands of successful professionals in your chosen field, including Manchester alumni. You can learn how they got to where they are now.
- Searching for organisations to target by your location of preference, or industry sector.
If all this sounds a bit intimidating why not dip your toe in the water and start small? The Careers Service has advice on how to construct an effective LinkedIn profile. We can also give feedback on your profile on our Applications Advice service or via email if you work full time or no longer live in Manchester.
The Careers Service has advice on networking which includes social media. Networking is all about keeping in touch with people you know, helping them out when they ask, and asking for help and information when you need it. Most people network in a small way without realising that’s what they’re doing! Read our Getting Connected guide and remember you can book a Guidance appointment to ask for advice if you need it.