I’m sure you are all looking forward to spending time with family and friends over the festive period but I bet some of you might not be looking forward to the inevitable questions about your job hunting!
I thought it might be a good idea to list a few things you could be doing in December to help knock these questions out of the park!
- Create/update your LinkedIn Profile – It’s something that we all know we should do but never actually round to (I’m as guilty as anyone!) but having a strong LinkedIn profile is essential in today’s job market. Not only is it a great way to network, employers are increasing using it as a tool for recruitment. You can get feedback on your LinkedIn profile on the Applications Advice session. 2013 grads can also join our special LinkedIn Group which aims to help you learn to use LinkedIn like a pro!
- Check upcoming deadlines- Although there are only 20 days to go there’s a lot of application deadlines before the big day. To make sure you don’t miss out check our list of graduate scheme closing dates now! To give yourself motivation why not treat you to a mince pie after completing an application form?!
- Develop your self-awareness – Answering questions about your job search can be extremely difficult if you don’t know what you want to do! Using tools such as Careers KickStart and Prospects Planner will help you become more aware of the types of jobs which might suit you as well as helping you to create an action plan for the year ahead.
- Set up a Careers Appointment – Really not sure what you want to do or have an idea but aren’t sure how to make it a reality? Having a Careers Guidance appointment might help. Recent graduates from the University of Manchester can book a face to face, telephone or even a Skype appointment.
- Raise your commercial awareness – Most publications will do some kind of review of the year around this time. Read the ones related to the sector you are interested in, you’ll gain commercial awareness which you might need to draw on during interviews.