Wouldn’t normally cut’n’paste an ad for an event – but this is too good an opportunity for our STEM (science, technology, engineering, maths) PhDs to miss:
UMIP Fellows Programme Launch – Information Day
Wednesday March 20th 2:45pm – 4:30pm
Core Technology Facility, Grafton St, Manchester
Are you an early stage researcher or full time postgraduate student registered at The University of Manchester?
Do you have:
- An interest in technology transfer and intellectual property commercialisation, and/or prior experience in business or commercial environments?
- A commitment and availability for up to 8 hours per week to undertake paid project work?
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to adhere to deadlines?
- Enthusiasm to gain valuable business-related experience to enhance your CV?
We are looking to recruit a number of high calibre early stage researchers and postgraduates to become UMIP Fellows to work in their spare time alongside UMIP’s Commercialisation Executives to undertake a range of time critical short project assignments. Our new UMIP Fellows Programme is modelled on the similar, highly successful Columbia Fellows Programme run at Columbia University in New York.
Typical project assignments will include:
- Conducting scientific, market or prior art and patent research and analysis in order to inform decisions relating to patenting of inventions
- Assessing new inventions for commercial viability
- Writing technology summaries for marketing
- Identifying potential licensees or investors for new technologies
Successful Fellows will receive structured training from UMIP staff and from a Columbia Fellow in order to complete assignments, and the opportunity to participate in enterprise training from the Manchester Enterprise Centre. We expect that Fellows will be at least 2nd year PhD level in a STEM related discipline, and will be able to commit to the Programme for at least one year.
To find out more about the UMIP Fellows Programme, our aims and expectations, the entry criteria and the assessment process, and what you could gain from it, register here to attend the Information Day.
Leave a Reply