It seems to be “Enterprise season” at the moment with lots of events coming up about how to start your own business, go freelance, explore business planning and consider social enterprise.
To complete the schedule, there is now also a new event coming up specifically for international students at The University of Manchester on Wed. 20th March, 2013. This event will cover the practicalities and considerations for international business start up, with a particular focus upon the Graduate Entrepreneur Visa that The University of Manchester is currently able to sponsor. Find out what the requirements are now, as you may be required to show previous involvement with enterprise type events at the University to be considered for the visa.
To find out more about the international students event on 20th March, please log onto Careerslink (www.manchester.ac.uk/careerslink) and check out event ID: 1417 You can also find out more about the Graduate Entrepreneur visa on our international students careers pages: www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/international/ukworkafterstudy/
Other events coming up can also be found on Careerslink including:
1) Wednesday 13th February – come and hear our panel of successful local business entrepreneurs (all Manchester alumni) talking about how they’ve got where they are today and what they would do (or not do) again. This inspiring event will provide you with an opportunity to hear first-hand about how they started out in business and the lessons they’ve learned along the way.
2) On Wednesday 20th February the key theme for this one hour event is exploring individual motives for considering going it alone plus there is vital encouragement for anyone who has made it this far!!!
3) Do you want to make the world a better place? If yes then don’t miss the event on Wednesday 27th February looking at Social Enterprise.
4) Got a great business idea but are unsure what to do? Do you need a business plan? Don’t miss this practical workshop event on Wednesday 6th March.
5) Have you got a business problem? Need some advice? Make an appointment at the Business Clinic on Wednesday 6th March and talk with a specialist who will consider your symptoms and then diagnose some assistance which will help drive your business idea onto the next level
6) Considering going freelance? If you’re interested in life as your own boss come and hear about it first hand from an experienced freelancer who has worked in the events and entertainment industry. Join us on Wednesday 13th March
How to get involved? Places for all the events will be allocated on a first come first served basis so arrive early. Don’t forget if you wish to attend register your interest on Careerslink to get a reminder and updates or changes to this event.
Don’t worry if you can’t make the events The Careers Service can also help by signposting you onto relevant experts or support. Plus we’ve got plenty of resources to explore motivation, personal suitability, business feasibility and local support organisations! Check out our web pages here: http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/options/selfemployment/ or make an appointment to see our in-house expert Dominic Laing.
Amanda Conway is the Head of International Career Development at The University of Manchester. Amanda has been a career consultant at the University for over 15 years and also has a background in retail management and HR, psychometric testing and personality profiling.