October is a very busy month in careers-land, if you are looking for work or even thinking of a career change there are loads of actions you could be taking to improve your employability and find great jobs over the next 4 weeks.
Here is my October to do list… (For you!)
- Start applying for Graduate Schemes – Lots of major graduate schemes have opened or will open for applications this month, apply now to avoid missing out on these opportunities. For more information about applying to graduate schemes read Holly’s last blog post. For help with applications see our advice on CV’s, Covering Letters, and Application Forms.
- Attend our Career Fairs –We are running three national Careers Fairs this month –Firstly there is the Ethnic Diversity fair where companies looking to recruit a diverse workforce will be attending. Then there are the Finance, Business and Management and Engineering, Science and Technology fairs. If you are interested in getting into either of these sectors these fairs are a must as they are a great way for meeting employers and finding out more about them.
- Volunteer – Volunteering is a great way to get work experience on your CV as well as giving something back to your local community. Have a look on Careerslink as we advertise a range of volunteering opportunities. Volunteer England, Do-It.org and Time bank are also useful databases of national volunteering opportunities. There is lots more information on volunteering on our website.
- Join a relevant Careers Facebook group– Did you know the careers service runs a range of facebook groups and that graduates from the University of Manchester can join them? If we come across careers information, events and opportunities we’ll post them to the relevant groups. Have a look to see which group is most appropriate to you and your career aspirations.
- Get a LinkedIn account – Whilst you’re in social media mode finally get round to joining LinkedIn! It’s a great way to network and build up your professional contacts. If you’re already a member how about filling our more of your profile?